Combine an impressive journey on the White Pass Scenic Railway with an incredible five-mile roundtrip hike to Denver Falls and the lush old-growth forest of the Denver Valley.
What to bring: PASSPORT, closed-toe shoes, dress in layers
Recommended: Hiking boots or shoes with ankle support are recommended
Activity Times: Hiking: 6.5 hours (4-5 miles); Train: 1 hour
Learn More About Our Train Tour & Laughton Valley Hike
- Lumbar pack, trekking pole, rain jacket and pants, hat, gloves, sunblock, and bug repellent.
- Full lunch in the form of a sandwich buffet including meats, cheese, peanut butter and jelly, vegetable tray, and condiments.
- Water bottles, candy bars, and nuts are provided for the trail, and hot drinks will also be offered during the hike.
- The post-hike bush buffet consists of salmon pate, crackers, and assorted beverages.
Your custom trip includes a motor coach tour up the scenic Klondike Highway, the full 27.7-mile White Pass scenic railway journey, and a hike along the upper reaches of the Skagway River to the majestic Laughton Valley. This is one adventure you won’t soon forget.
Your trip begins with a 22-mile Klondike Highway tour to Fraser, B.C., where you will board a historic White Pass and Yukon Route Railway coach. Your railway adventure is broken into two parts, one before and one after the hike.
The first segment crosses the broad, open Canadian highlands before crossing the White Pass and plunging gradually toward the sea alongside Dead Horse Gulch, through tunnels, over trestles, and accompanied by stunning views such as from Inspiration Point.
At mile 14.1 of the WP&YR, you will disembark at Glacier Station, the site of a historic railway station that housed workers year-round from 1898 until the 1970s. Here is where your hike begins on a well-maintained trail meandering through the surreal beauty of an old-growth rainforest valley that is home to moose, bear, mountain goats, and other wild animals.
The trail winds along the raging headwaters of the Skagway River, meeting it in places where you will take memorable photos. Leaving the main valley and turning into the Laughton Valley, you will witness the glacial transformation of the landscape in action. You will take a break at the “lookout,” and take in the splendor of the 360-degree views of two countries available there.
Leaving the lookout and proceeding toward the towering peaks, and glacial ice falls crawling down from them, the route will be more rugged but still quite manageable, and you will enjoy exceptional photo opportunities.
Approaching the glacier, the trail dissipates and you will pause to bask in its glory and enjoy lunch before returning to Glacier Station for your transportation back to Skagway aboard “The Scenic Railway of the World.”
With a ratio of no more than six guests per guide (two guides for up to 12, and three guides for up to 18), you can expect amazing customer service. Guides carry rain gear, extra warm clothes, and other items such as sunblock and bug repellent so you don’t have to! A small lumbar pack with snacks and water is also provided.
PASSPORT REQUIRED. TOUR ORDER MAY VARY.
- 8:30: Meeting time
- 8:45: Depart pier for Fraser BC in motor coach, 22 miles, approximately 1 hour
- 9:45: Arrive Fraser, clear customs, board train
- 10:20 14-mile, 50 minute train ride to trail head at Glacier Station
- 11:10 Orientation and gear distribution
- 11:25 Round-trip hike to Laughton Glacier, 4-5 miles
- 3:25 Arrive at trailhead, prepare to board train
- 3:35 14-mile, 50-minute train ride to Skagway
- 4:30 Arrive at White Pass Depot
The following cruise lines offer the Glacier Lake Kayak and Scenic Rail (possibly by a slightly different name):
- Holland America
- Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL)
- Royal Caribbean
- Silver Seas
The following cruise lines DO NOT offer the Glacier Lake Kayak and Scenic Rail, but it may be possible for you to book it with us, providing there is space available and your port times allow: