Combine an impressive journey on the White Pass Scenic Railway with an incredible hike along the Skagway River and through the lush old-growth forest of the Denver Valley.
Sawtooth Mountain Nature Hike
Adventure the Historic White Pass & Yukon Route Railway!
What to bring: PASSPORT, closed-toe shoes, dress in layers (temperature is 50-75 degrees)
Recommended: Hiking boots or shoes with ankle support are recommended
Activity Times: Hiking: 3 hours; Train: About 20 minutes, each way.
- Per Person
Learn More About the Short Hike to Sawtooth Mountain
- Lumbar packs, trekking poles, rain gear, and hats and gloves are provided.
- Guides carry extra warm clothing, sunblock, and bug repellent.
- Water, candy bars, nuts during the hike.
- Assortment of beverages served after hike on return trip to town.
You will access the trailhead via a brief six-mile train ride aboard the historic White Pass & Yukon Route Railway, disembarking at the roadless, wilderness whistle stop known as Denver. Before leaving the trailhead, a short safety briefing and gear-up will prepare you for your forest adventure.
Leaving the trailhead, your experienced, knowledgeable and professional guides will lead you through the glacially carved valley full of dense, temperate, rainforest filled with old-growth Western Hemlock and Sitka Spruce trees.
The trail traces the raging East Fork of the Skagway River, meeting it intermittently and providing excellent photo opportunities. Be alert for wildlife, and keep your camera close, as the remote valley is home to bears, moose, mountain goats, and other wildlife.
From the depths of the river valley, gaze at the magnificent craggy peaks of the Sawtooth Mountains, rising promptly to 7,000 feet above sea level, making this valley deeper than the Grand Canyon. Your thoroughly narrated hike will introduce you to the flora, fauna, and history that makes the region unique.
Hiking through the pristine old growth of the Tongass National Forest will leave you in awe of the 1,000-year-old trees, and photo stops by the river will be a highlight of this perfect mix of exercise and natural beauty.
With a ratio of six guests per guide, you will receive extraordinary customer service. Access to the roadless trailhead via a short ride on the historic White Pass Scenic Railway enhances the experience.
7:30 a.m. Departure
- 7:15: Meet guide(s) on the dock.
- 7:30: Depart dock and walk or bus to the White Pass Depot, 5-10 minutes depending on the dock.
- 7:45: Train safety briefing, waivers signed.
- 8:00: Brief train ride to trailhead at Denver Station, mile 5.8.
- 8:20: Gear distribution, trail safety briefing and orientation.
- 8:35: Roundtrip Wilderness hike along Skagway River and below the Sawtooth peaks.
- 11:25: Arrive back at trailhead, return gear.
- 11:40: Board train for ride back to Skagway with drinks.
- 12:20: Arrive at White Pass depot in Skagway
12:30 p.m. Departure
- 12:15: Meet guide(s) on the dock.
- 12:30: Depart dock and walk or buss to White Pass Platform.
- 12:45: Train safety briefing, waivers signed.
- 1:00: Brief train ride to trailhead at Denver Station, mile 5.8.
- 1:20: Gear distribution, trail safety briefing and orientation.
- 1:35: Roundtrip Wilderness hike along Skagway River and below the Sawtooth peaks.
- 4:25: Arrive back at trailhead, return gear.
- 4:40: Board train for ride back to Skagway with drinks.
- 5:15: Arrive at White Pass depot in Skagway.
The following cruise lines offer the Sawtooth Mountain Nature Hike (possibly by a slightly different name):
If the tour or trip you'd like to book is full, you can complete this form below to be added to a waitlist.