Your trip to the Laughton Glacier combines a scenic train ride aboard the historic White Pass & Yukon Route Railway with a wilderness trek to the magnificent Laughton Glacier, an adventure you won’t soon forget.
Laughton Glacier Snowshoe & White Pass Railway Expedition
An unforgettable snowshoe trek!
What to bring: PASSPORT, closed-toe shoes, dress in layers
Recommended: Hiking boots or shoes with ankle support are recommended
Activity Times: Hiking: 7 hours; Train: 50 minutes, twice.
*This tour typically runs only in May and is replaced by the Laughton Glacier Wilderness Hike when the snow melts.
- Per Person
Learn More About Our Popular Snowshoe & White Pass Scenic Railway Adventure!
- Snowshoes, water-resistant overboots, lumbar pack, trekking poles, rain gear, hats & gloves are provided.
- Guides carry sunblock and bug repellant so you don’t have to.
- Full lunch in the form of a sandwich buffet including meats, cheese, peanut butter and jelly, vegetable tray, and condiments.
- Water bottles, candy bars, and nuts are provided for the trail, and hot drinks will also be offered during the hike.
- The post-hike bush buffet consists of salmon pate, crackers, and assorted beverages.
This trip combines a scenic rail journey aboard the historic White Pass & Yukon Route Railway with a wilderness snowshoe trek toward the magnificent Laughton Glacier, an adventure you won’t soon forget.
You will board the train for a nearly one-hour scenic journey filled with spectacular waterfalls, rushing rivers, jagged mountain peaks, and complemented by Klondike Gold Rush history. At Glacier Station, guides will outfit you with snowshoes and other gear before you begin a fully guided and narrated three- to five-mile roundtrip snowshoe hike in the clean mountain air and amidst the surreal beauty of an old-growth forest.
The magnificent, snow-blanketed, sub-alpine rainforest valley is home to an abundance of moose, bear, mountain goats, and other wild animals.
This spectacular trail winds along the raging Skagway River, where you will take memorable photos, and toward a smaller valley containing the Laughton Glacier. The canopy opens as you leave the forest and reach a panoramic viewpoint known as “the lookout,” where you will take a break and photos while enjoying the breathtaking views of Alaska’s winter wonderland in the spring.
From here, some may choose to continue a ways toward the majestic Laughton Glacier, while others may make this the apex of the hike. Either way, you’ll be invigorated by the raw beauty of the Alaskan wilds, and be offered hot drinks by your guides.
Upon your return to the trailhead, you will be greeted with our traditional Bush Buffet, complete with snacks and assorted beverages, and enjoy a relaxing train ride back to Skagway on “The Scenic Railway of the World.” With no more than six guests per guide, you can expect exceptional customer service.
Note: No previous experience snowshoeing is required, however, this is a moderately strenuous hike, and guests should be in good physical condition.
7:30 a.m. Departure
- 7:15: Meet guide(s) on the dock.
- 7:30: Depart dock and walk or bus to White Pass train platform.
- 7:45: Gear distribution, train safety briefing, waiver signed.
- 8:00: Scenic rail journey to Glacier Station at mile 14.1, making lunch on the way
- 8:50: More gear distribution, trail safety briefing and snowshoe orientation.
- 9:20: Begin roundtrip snowshoe to views of the Laughton Glacier.
- 3:50: Arrive back at trailhead, return gear, enjoy a drink.
- 4:20: Board train for scenic train ride back to Skagway with snacks and drinks.
- 5:15: Arrive at White Pass depot in Skagway.
Because space on our tours is extremely limited, we encourage you to book with your cruise line if it offers this excursion. If you are not coming on a cruise ship, or your cruise line does not offer this excursion, please book online to secure your spot! If you have any questions, please give us a call: 907-983-3005.
NOTES: This is an early season version of the Laughton Glacier Wilderness Hike. When we switch over to the summer version varies from year to year, but is usually around the last week of May. There is a transition time around the end of May or very early June when it may even be a combination of the two versions. Some cruise lines differentiate the two versions in their online descriptions, some don’t. Contact us if you need clarification on what to expect.
The following cruise lines offer the Laughton Glacier Snowshoe Hike and White Pass Railway Adventure (possibly by a slightly different name):
If the tour or trip you'd like to book is full, you can complete this form below to be added to a waitlist.