Combine an impressive journey on the White Pass Scenic Railway with an incredible five-mile roundtrip hike to Denver Falls and the lush old-growth forest of the Denver Valley.
What to bring: PASSPORT, closed-toe shoes, dress in layers
Recommended: Hiking boots or shoes with ankle support are recommended
Activity Times: Hiking: 7.5 (4-5 miles); Train: 1 hour
- Per Person
Learn More About One of Our Most Popular Skagway Alaska Expeditions!
- Lumbar packs, trekking poles, rain gear, and hats and gloves are provided.
- Guides carry extra warm clothing, sunblock, and bug repellent.
- Full lunch in the form of a sandwich buffet including meats, cheese, peanut butter and jelly, vegetable tray, and condiments.
- Water bottles, candy bars, and nuts are provided for the trail, and hot drinks will also be offered during the hike.
- The post-hike bush buffet consists of salmon pate, crackers, and assorted beverages.
You will board the train for a nearly one-hour journey on the White Pass scenic railway, filled with spectacular waterfalls, rushing rivers, jagged mountain peaks, and complemented by Klondike Gold Rush history. At Glacier Station, you will begin a fully guided round-trip hike of up to eight miles, in the clean mountain air.
Your hike begins on a well-maintained trail meandering through the surreal beauty of an old-growth rainforest valley that is home to an abundance of moose, bear, mountain goats and other wild animals.
The trail winds along the raging Skagway River, meeting it in places where you will take memorable photos before you turn into the valley containing the majestic Laughton Glacier. You will take a break at the “lookout,” and bask in the splendor of the 360-degree views available there.
Leaving the lookout and proceeding toward the glacier, you will notice that the route has become more rugged, though still manageable. Approaching the glacier, the terrain changes dramatically as you leave the rocky riverbed and pick your way through a boulder field and onto the glacier.
You are certain to enjoy the breathtaking views, exposed crevasses and moulins, and other fascinating features of the great frozen river of ice, ever-changing in the harsh Alaskan environment. Hot drinks will be offered by your guides while you are perched on the glacier. Upon return to the trailhead, you will be greeted with our traditional “Bush Buffet,” complete with cold beverages.
Relax and enjoy the ride back to town on “The Scenic Railway of the World.” With a ratio of no more than six guests per guide (two guides for up to 12, and three guides for up to 18), you will receive extraordinary customer service.
In May and early June, glacier travel may be limited or impossible due to snow on the glacier.
- 7:15: Meet guide(s) on the dock.
- 7:30: Depart dock and walk or bus to White Pass train platform.
- 7:45: Gear distribution, train safety briefing, waivers signed.
- 8:00: Scenic rail journey to Glacier Station at mile 14.1, making lunch on the way
- 8:50: More gear distribution, trail safety briefing and orientation.
- 9:05: Begin roundtrip wilderness hike to the Laughton Glacier.
- 3:50: Arrive back at trailhead, return gear, enjoy a cold beverage.
- 4:05: Board train for scenic train ride back to Skagway with snacks and beverages.
- 5:10: Arrive at White Pass depot in Skagway.
The following cruise lines offer the Laughton Glacier Wilderness Hike and White Pass Railway Adventure (possibly by a slightly different name):
- Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL)
- Royal Caribbean (except on Wednesday visits due to port times)
- Celebrity (except on Wednesday visits due to port times)
For guests on all other cruise lines, it may be possible for you to book it with us, providing there is space available and your port times allow.