Embark on a scenic snowshoe trek to the upper reaches of the Tormented Valley, in northern British Columbia. Enjoy incredible alpine landscapes and a train/motor coach ride back to town.
Denver Valley Wilderness Hike & White Pass Railway
The Scenic Railway of the World!
What to bring: PASSPORT, closed-toe shoes, dress in layers as temperatures range between 50-75 degrees.
Recommended: Hiking boots or shoes with ankle support are recommended, but walking or athletic shoes are acceptable.
Activity Times: Hiking: 4-5 hours; Train: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Per Person
Learn More About This Scenic Journey Through Denver Valley
- Lumbar packs, trekking poles, rain gear, and hats and gloves are provided.
- Guides carry extra warm clothing, sunblock, and bug repellent.
- Full lunch in the form of a sandwich buffet including assorted meats and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, vegetable tray, and condiments.
- Water bottles, candy bars, and nuts are provided as snacks for the trail.
- The post-hike refreshments include water and juice.
This trip combines an impressive 27.7-mile, scenic rail journey aboard the Historic White Pass & Yukon Route Railway, “The Scenic Railway of the World,” with a five-mile round-trip wilderness hike to Denver Falls in the lush old-growth forest of the Denver Valley.
Your adventure begins with a 22-mile coach ride up the Klondike Highway to Fraser, BC, where you will begin your rail journey. The rail portion of your trip will be broken into two parts, before and after the hike.
This world-renowned railway adventure carries you through the White Pass, and comes complete with waterfalls, rushing rivers, trestles, and tunnels as you trace portions of the original trail of ’98.
This southbound rail journey offers outstanding views from Inspiration Point and other locations along the route. After disembarking at Denver Station, a short safety briefing and gear-up will prepare you for your forest adventure.
Leaving the trailhead, your experienced, knowledgeable and professional guides will lead you through the glacially carved valley full of dense, temperate, rainforest filled with old-growth Western Hemlock and Sitka Spruce trees.
The trail traces the raging East Fork of the Skagway River, meeting it intermittently and providing excellent photo opportunities. Be alert for wildlife, and keep your camera close, as the remote valley is home to bears, moose, mountain goats, and other wildlife.
From the depths of the river valley, gaze at the magnificent craggy peaks of the Sawtooth Mountains, rising promptly to 7,000 feet above sea level, making this valley deeper than the Grand Canyon.
Your thoroughly narrated hike will introduce you to the flora, fauna, and history that makes the region unique. Hiking through the pristine old growth of the Tongass National Forest will leave you awed by the 1,000-year-old trees, and photo stops by the various river stops will be highlights of this perfect mix of exercise and natural beauty.
After the hike, you will complete the rail journey to Skagway. You will receive extraordinary customer service, with six guests per guide (two guides for up to 12 and three guides for up to a maximum of 18 guests).
Trip may run in reverse order with bus portion first and train and hike after. This description is for the 9:15 a.m. departure, and will run this way in most cases. Exceptions may be possible for guests from ships leaving before the 9:15 departure returns. Contact us for details.
9:15 a.m. Departure (this is the standard daily departure and usually the only one)
- 9:00: Meet guide(s) on the dock.
- 9:15: Scenic ride to Fraser B.C. via the Klondike Highway, and sign waivers.
- 10:00: Clear customs.
- 10:10: Board train, train safety briefing, make lunch.
- 10:30: Train ride from Fraser at mile 27.7 to trailhead at mile 5.8.
- 12:00: Gear distribution, trail safety briefing and orientation.
- 12:15: Roundtrip Wilderness hike in the Denver Valley.
- 4:30: Arrive back at trailhead, return gear, enjoy a drink.
- 4:45: Board train for ride back to Skagway with snacks and drinks.
- 5:15: Arrive at White Pass depot in Skagway.
7:30 a.m. Departure (this departure happens only in special circumstances)
- 7:15: Meet guide(s) on the dock.
- 7:30: Depart dock and walk to White Pass Depot, 5-10 minutes depending on the dock.
- 7:45: Gear distribution, train safety briefing, sign waivers.
- 8:00: Train ride to trailhead at mile 5.8.
- 8:20: More gear distribution, trail safety briefing and orientation.
- 8:35: Roundtrip Wilderness hike in the Denver Valley.
- 13:00: Arrive back at trailhead, return gear, enjoy a drink.
- 13:20: Scenic rail journey to Fraser B.C., with lunch, drinks and snacks.
- 2:45: Arrive at Fraser, transfer to bus for scenic ride to Skagway via the Klondike Highway
- 3:35: Arrive in Skagway and be returned to your ship or dropped off in town.
The following cruise lines offer the Denver Valley Wilderness Hike and White Pass Railway Adventure (possibly by a slightly different name):
If the tour or trip you'd like to book is full, you can complete this form below to be added to a waitlist.