This trip combines an exquisite rail journey aboard the historic White Pass & Yukon Route Railway with a wilderness snowshoe hike toward the magnificent Laughton Glacier.
What to bring: PASSPORT, closed-toe shoes, dress in layers as temperatures range between 50-75 degrees.
Recommended: Hiking boots or shoes with ankle support are recommended, but walking or athletic shoes are acceptable.
Activity Times: Hiking: About 4 hours; Train: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Per Person
Learn More About This Stunning Trek & White Pass Scenic Railway Ride Through the Wilderness
- Snowshoes, water-resistant overboots, lumbar pack, trekking poles, rain gear, hats & gloves are provided.
- Guides carry sunblock and bug repellant so you don’t have to.
- Full lunch in the form of a sandwich buffet including meats, cheese, peanut butter and jelly, vegetable tray, and condiments.
- Water bottles, candy bars, and nuts are provided for the trail, and hot drinks will also be offered during the hike.
- The post-hike bush buffet consists of salmon pate, crackers, and assorted beverages.
This trip combines a train ride aboard the Historic White Pass & Yukon Route Railway with a wilderness Snowshoe trek in the stunning alpine terrain that characterizes the upper reaches of the Tormented Valley, in northern British Columbia.
The first leg of your adventure is aboard “The Scenic Railway of the World” for a 1.5-hour rail journey up and over the White Pass Summit, complete with waterfalls, rushing rivers, trestles, and tunnels as you trace portions of the original trail of ’98.
After arriving at the trailhead and gearing up, you will discover many excellent photo opportunities as your snowshoe adventure progresses, and you travel over the pristine white blanket of snow that covers the glacially carved landscape, accompanied by your experienced, knowledgeable and professional guide.
Your thoroughly narrated tour will enlighten you on the natural history, geography, geology, and the unique Klondike Gold Rush history of the region.
You will enjoy expansive, wide open views of snow-capped mountains, frozen lakes and the rugged terrain the stampeders endured over 110 years ago during the Klondike Gold Rush. Be on the lookout for wildlife as bear, moose, mountain goats, wolves, and caribou all call this area home.
Upon returning to the trailhead, you will enjoy Packer Expeditions traditional cooler of “Backcountry Delights,” complete with beverages and snacks.
You’ll get back on the train to Fraser, British Columbia where you meet a motor coach for your ride down the Klondike Highway back to Skagway. Your hiking guides will be with you the entire trip to share gold rush history and to answer any other questions you may have. You can count on exceptional customer service, as there are never more than six guests per guide!
- Trip may run in reverse order, with bus ride prior to hiking and train ride.
Note: No previous snowshoeing experience is required. Waterproof hiking boots with good ankle support are recommended. “Neos” overboots provided if needed. This is a wilderness hike over uneven and sometimes difficult terrain. The trip will cover three to five miles.
7:30 a.m. Departure
- 7:15: Meet guide(s) on the dock.
- 7:30: Depart dock and walk or bus to White Pass Depot, 5-10 minutes depending on the dock.
- 7:45: Gear distribution, train safety briefing, sign waivers.
- 8:00: Scenic rail journey to trailhead at mile 23.5, making lunch on the way.
- 9:30: More gear distribution, trail safety briefing and snowshoe orientation.
- 9:45: Wilderness Snowshoe hike in the snow covered Alpine terrain of the Tormented Valley.
- 2:00: Arrive back at trailhead, return gear, enjoy a drink.
- 2:20: Train ride to Fraser B.C. with drinks and snacks.
- 2:45: Arrive at Fraser, transfer to bus for scenic ride to Skagway via the Klondike Highway
- 3:35: Arrive in Skagway and be returned to your ship or dropped off in town.
9:15 a.m. Departure
- 9:00: Meet guide(s) on the dock.
- 9:15: Scenic ride to Fraser B.C. via the Klondike Highway, and sign waivers.
- 10:00: Clear customs, and gear distribution.
- 10:10: Board train, train safety briefing, make lunch.
- 10:30: Train ride from Fraser at mile 27.7 to trailhead at mile 23.5.
- 10:55: More gear distribution, trail safety briefing and snowshoe orientation.
- 11:10: Wilderness Snowshoe hike in the snow covered Alpine terrain of the Tormented Valley.
- 3:35: Arrive back at trailhead, return gear.
- 3:55: Board train for scenic rail journey back to Skagway with snacks and drinks.
- 5:15: Arrive at White Pass depot in Skagway.
NOTE: This is a seasonal tour that typically runs only in May and sometimes early June. The exact date when there is not enough snow to do this safely varies from year to year. The following cruise lines offer the Alpine Snowshoe and White Pass Railway Adventure (possibly by a slightly different name):
If the tour or trip you'd like to book is full, you can complete this form below to be added to a waitlist.