This trip combines an impressive 27.7 mile, scenic rail journey aboard the Historic White Pass & Yukon Route Railway, “The Scenic Railway of the World,” with a 5-mile round-trip wilderness hike to Denver Falls in the lush old growth forest of the Denver Valley. Your adventure begins with a 22 mile coach ride up the Klondike Highway to Fraser, BC, where you will begin your rail journey. The rail portion of your trip will be broken into two parts, before and after the hike.
This world renowned railway adventure carries you through the White Pass, and comes complete with waterfalls, rushing rivers, trestles, and tunnels as you trace portions of the original trail of ’98.
This southbound rail journey offers outstanding views from Inspiration Point and other locations along the route. After disembarking at Denver Station, a short safety briefing and gear-up will prepare you for your forest adventure. Leaving the trailhead, your experienced, knowledgeable and professional guides will lead you through the glacially carved valley full of dense, temperate, rainforest filled with old growth Western Hemlock and Sitka Spruce trees.
The trail traces the raging East Fork of the Skagway River, meeting it intermittently and providing excellent photo opportunities. Be alert for wildlife, and keep your camera close, as the remote valley is home to bears, moose, mountain goats and other wildlife.
From the depths of the river valley, gaze at the magnificent craggy peaks of the Sawtooth Mountains, rising promptly to 7000 feet above sea level, making this valley deeper than the Grand Canyon.
Your thoroughly narrated hike will introduce you to the flora, fauna and history that makes the region unique. Hiking through the pristine old growth of the Tongass National Forest will leave you awed by the 1000 year old trees, and photo stops by the various river stops will be highlights of this perfect mix of exercise and natural beauty.
After the hike, you will finish complete the rail journey to Skagway. With no more than 6 guests per guide (2 guides for up to 12 and 3 guides for up to a maximum of 18 guests), you will receive extraordinary customer service.
Guides carry rain gear, extra warm clothes, and other items such as sun block and bug repellent so you don’t have to! A small lumbar pack with snacks and water is also provided.
Guests should be in good physical condition, able to walk over uneven and sometimes challenging terrain including rocks and tree roots, and hike in all weather conditions. Guests are encouraged to dress in layers.
Shoes or boots with ankle support are recommended but not required. Trip may run in reverse order with bus portion first and train and hike after.
this description is for the 8:55 am departure, and will run this way in most cases. Exceptions may be possible for guests from ships leaving before the 8:55 departure returns. Contact us for details.
Note: Guests should be in good physical condition, able to walk over uneven and sometimes challenging terrain including rocks and tree roots, and hike in all weather conditions. The hike typically covers 4-5 miles for most hikers, though some stronger hikers go farther.
Packer Expeditions holds a Special Use Permit to operate hiking tours on land within the Tongass National Forest, and thanks the hard working men and women of the United States Forest Service for facilitating this opportunity.
Dress in layers as temperature’s range between 50-75 degrees. Hiking boots or shoes with ankle support are recommended, but walking or athletic shoes are acceptable.
7.5 hours, including 4 hours of hiking time, and about 1:40 on the train.
Lumbar packs, trekking poles, rain gear, and hats and gloves are provided. Guides carry extra warm clothing, sun block and bug repellent.
Full lunch in the form of a sandwich buffet including assorted meats and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, vegetable tray, and condiments. Water bottles, candy bars and nuts are provided as snacks for the trail. The post hike refreshments include water and juice.
Passport Required. Some nationalities may need visa to enter Canada.
- 8:45 Meet guide(s) on the dock.
- 8:55 Scenic ride to Fraser B.C. via the Klondike Highway, and sign waivers.
- 9:45 Clear customs.
- 10:00 Board train, train safety briefing, make lunch.
- 10:20 Train ride from Fraser at mile 27.7 to trailhead at mile 5.8.
- 11:30 Gear distribution, trail safety briefing and orientation.
- 11:45 Roundtrip Wilderness hike in the Denver Valley.
- 3:55 Arrive back at trailhead, return gear, enjoy a drink.
- 4:05 Board train for ride back to Skagway with snacks and drinks.
- 4:30 Arrive at White Pass depot in Skagway.
7:30 am Departure (this departure happens only in special circumstances)
- 7:15 Meet guide(s) on the dock.
- 7:30 Depart dock and walk to White Pass Depot, 5-10 minutes depending on the dock.
- 7:40 Gear distribution, train safety briefing, sign waivers.
- 8:00 Train ride to trailhead at mile 5.8.
- 8:20 More gear distribution, trail safety briefing and orientation.
- 8:35 Roundtrip Wilderness hike in the Denver Valley.
- 12:40 Arrive back at trailhead, return gear, enjoy a drink.
- 12:50 Scenic rail journey to Fraser B.C., with lunch, drinks and snacks.
- 2:15 Arrive at Fraser, transfer to bus for scenic ride to Skagway via the Klondike Highway
- 3:15 Arrive in Skagway and be returned to your ship or dropped off in town.
How Can I Book this Excursion?
Because space on our tours is extremely limited, we encourage you to book with your cruise line if it offers this excursion. If you are not coming on a cruise ship, your cruise line does not offer this excursion, you are having difficulty booking with your cruise line, or you simply would like more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org call 907-983-3005.
We can assist you more efficiently and effectively if your inquiry includes the following information:
- The exact date(s) you will be in Skagway
- The number of people in your party
- The name of your ship (this will tell us your port times)
- The tour(s) that most interest you
The following cruise lines offer the Denver Valley Wilderness Hike and White Pass Railway Adventure (possibly by a slightly different name):
The following cruise lines DO NOT offer the Denver Valley Wilderness Hike and White Pass Railway Adventure, but it may be possible for you to book it with us, providing there is space available and your port times allow:
- Silver Seas
- Royal Caribbean
- 58 reviews of Packer Expeditions in Skagway