This trip combines a train ride aboard the Historic White Pass & Yukon Route Railway with a wilderness Snow Shoe trek in the stunning alpine terrain that characterizes the upper reaches of the Tormented Valley, in northern Britiish Columbia.
The first leg of your adventure is aboard “The Scenic Railway of the World” for a 1.5 hour rail journey up and over the White Pass Summit, complete with waterfalls, rushing rivers, trestles, and tunnels as you trace portions of the original trail of ’98.
After arriving at the trailhead and gearing up, you will discover many excellent photo opportunities as your snow shoe adventure progresses, and you travel over the pristine white blanket of snow that covers the glacially carved landscape, accompanied by your experienced, knowledgeable and professional guide. Your thoroughly narrated tour will enlighten you on the natural history, geography, geology, and the unique Klondike Gold Rush history of the region.
You will enjoy expansive, wide open views of snow capped mountains, frozen lakes and the rugged terrain the stampeders endured over 110 years ago during the Klondike Gold Rush. Be on the lookout for wildlife as bear, moose, mountain goats, wolves and caribou all call this area home. Upon returning to the trailhead you will enjoy Packer Expeditions traditional cooler of “Backcountry Delights”, complete with beverages and snacks.
You’ll get back on the train to Fraser, British Columbia where you meet a motor coach for your ride down the Klondike Highway back to Skagway. Your hiking guides will be with you the entire trip to share goldrush history and to answer any other questions you may have. You can count on exceptional customer service, as there are never more than 6 guests per guide!
Trip may run in reverse order, with bus ride prior to hiking and train ride.
Note:No previous Snow Shoeing experience is required. Waterproof hiking boots with good ankle support are recommended. “Neos” overboots provided if needed. This is a wilderness hike over uneven and sometimes difficult terrain. The trip will cover 3-5 miles.
|Suggested clothing attire||Guests are encouraged to dress in layers. Shoes or boots with ankle support are recommended but not required.|
|Equipment||Snow Shoes, water resistant overboots, lumbar pack, trekking poles, raingear, hats & gloves are provided. Guides carry sun block and bug repellant so you don’t have to.|
|Food and Refreshments||Full lunch in the form of a sandwich buffet including meats, cheese, peanut butter and jelly, vegetable tray, and condiments. Water bottles, candy bars and nuts are provided for the trail, and hot drinks will also be offered during the hike. The post hike bush buffet consists of salmon pate’, crackers, and assorted beverages.|
Passport required. Some Nationalities may need Visa to enter Canada
Tour runs only when there is adequate snow, typically through May into early June, but sometimes longer.
Approximate Tour Time Tables
- 7:00 Meet guide(s) on the dock.
- 7:15 Depart dock and walk to White Pass Depot, 5-10 minutes depending on the dock.
- 7:30 Gear distribution, train safety briefing, sign waivers.
- 8:00 Scenic rail journey to trailhead at mile 23.5, making lunch on the way.
- 9:30 More gear distribution, trail safety briefing and snowshoe orientation.
- 9:45 Wilderness Snowshoe hike in the snow covered Alpine terrain of the Tormented Valley.
- 1:30 Arrive back at trailhead, return gear, enjoy a drink.
- 1:50 Train ride to Fraser B.C. with drinks and snacks.
- 2:15 Arrive at Fraser, transfer to bus for scenic ride to Skagway via the Klondike Highway
- 3:15 Arrive in Skagway and be returned to your ship or dropped off in town.
- 8:30 Meet guide(s) on the dock.
- 8:40 Scenic ride to Fraser B.C. via the Klondike Highway, and sign waivers.
- 9:40 Clear customs, and gear distribution.
- 10:00 Board train, train safety briefing, make lunch.
- 10:20 Train ride from Fraser at mile 27.7 to trailhead at mile 23.5.
- 10:40 More gear distribution, trail safety briefing and snowshoe orientation.
- 10:55 Wilderness Snowshoe hike in the snow covered Alpine terrain of the Tormented Valley.
- 2:40 Arrive back at trailhead, return gear.
- 3:00 Board train for scenic rail journey back to Skagway with snacks and drinks.
- 4:30 Arrive at White Pass depot in Skagway.
How Can I Book this Excursion?
Because space on our tours is extremely limited, we encourage you to book with your cruise line if it offers this excursion. If you are not coming on a cruise ship, your cruise line does not offer this excursion, you are having difficulty booking with your cruise line, or you simply would like more information, please send an email to guide.manager@packerexpeditions or call 907-983-3005.
We can assist you more efficiently and effectively if your inquiry includes the following information:
- The exact date(s) you will be in Skagway
- The number of people in your party
- The name of your ship (this will tell us your port times)
- The tour(s) that most interest you
NOTE: This is a seasonal tour that typically runs only in May and sometimes early June. The exact date when there is not enough snow to do this safely varies from year to year. The following cruise lines offer the Alpine Snowshoe and White Pass Railway Adventure (possibly by a slightly different name):
The following cruise lines DO NOT offer the Alpine Snowshoe and White Pass Railway Adventure, but it may be possible for you to book it with us, providing there is space available and your port times allow:
- Silver Seas
- 58 reviews of Packer Expeditions in Skagway